Hot, cool, crisp, soft. What more could you ask for? Oh yeah, its EASY too.
potatoes, cayenne, red pepper ﬂakes, turmeric, cumin, garlic, spinach, shallots, plain soy yogurt, cilantro
- Cut 1¾ pounds (800g) large starchy potatoes into big pieces and cook in a large pot of salted water for about 15 minutes, till approaching tenderness.
- Peel 5 large shallots and halve them lengthwise.
- Drain the potatoes, then put them in a bowl, add the shallots, and toss with half a teaspoon of cayenne, a teaspoon of red pepper ﬂakes, a teaspoon of crushed garlic, and a teaspoon each of ground cumin and turmeric. Add 2 teaspoons of sea salt ﬂakes and 4 tablespoons of oil (peanut or olive), then transfer to a roasting pan and bake at 400ºF (200ºC) until crisp.
- Wash a couple of large handfuls of spinach. Put them in a pan over moderate heat, cover with a lid, and leave for a minute or two to wilt.
- Toss with the crisp potatoes, a little soy yogurt on top, and roughly chopped cilantro.
Servings: 2 to 3
via: Eat: The Little Book of Fast Food by Nigel Slater